Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Well that settles that.

As you may have noticed, I haven't posted in a while.  I hadn't actually realized how long until the other day when I'd hit almost two months.  Wow! 

My training has been much the same.  I've been running a lot, but just not very long distances.  I'm told that's the key to long races, long training runs.  But this has been quite the summer/fall...

Some things you may have missed:

We got a new roof. 

If you've never gone through that process, you're missing out!  It's awesome to live underneath Beirut while they're hammering and nail-gunning your house!  In our case, we decided to make it extra special, and not only were they supposed to take off the three layers of roof that had been there, but they found there was no decking there either.  Oh Boy!  So we got to (re)place decking for the entire roof.  Now they're working on the inside to clear out mold and look for anything rotten.  Cute fact about plaster... when you tear down a plaster wall, plaster dust gets EVERYWHERE!  We're one day through that process, not sure how much longer that'll take but you can tell I'm on pins and needles with excitement over it...

I've been sick.

Not sure why/what with, I hope to find out Thursday, but for the last two months or so I've been just feeling sick.  Slight sick-headache feeling, little tightness of breath like when you have a chest cold or something.  The doc-in-the-box told me I had walking pneumonia and the flu.  Both tests came back negative (what do those dumb tests know anyways!) but they loaded me up with roids, vitamins and God knows whatelse to see if anything worked.  Nothing has yet. 

Last, but certainly not least...

If you're wondering, those are my feet.

That is a boot.

Quick anatomy lesson... "You're head-bone's connected to your... Neck bone... your..."  Your calf muscles are connected to your foot via your Achilles' Tendon.  In my case, I have a hole in my tendon.  To spare my wife who may read this one day I won't go into detail, but yeah... in a boot for the next two weeks, and then back to the doctor to see. 

So I sent in my withdrawal from Pinhoti yesterday. 

When I called my wife, she asked if I was disappointed or relieved.  I'm a bit of both.  I really want to run that race one day.  But I knew I wasn't ready this year and was going to start anyways, part of being an ultra runner is the willingness to run even when you know you probably shouldn't.  So now I at least have a slight reprieve before I start in Pinhoti 2013! 

I plan to keep this blog going, because there's lots and lots of stuff I want to do between now and then.  From learning what foods I can tolerate on long runs, to an idea of running a 100 here in Birmingham to support the houseless community with a good friend's program Avail.

Check back often!!

No comments:

Post a Comment